Monday, August 17, 2009

Making an early period armor kit.

A couple weeks ago I decided to add an early period fighting kit to my list of SCA things to do. I would like the kit to be somewhere between 950 to the first Crusade. I think this would compliment my current 14th Century kit and allow me to be work on a couple different styles of fighting. So I have pulled out my old butted chain hauberk and started working on setting up the early period armor. I made this hauberk back in the mid 1980’s and I must have worn a much thinner gambeson back then because I remember it fitting and actually having a decent amount of room. Now when I put it on I look like a sausage in a chain mail casing. So I started working on panels that I will add to the front and back of the hauberk. Last night I finished the panels and split the front of the hauberk to start adding in the first rectangle of mail. I should be able to finish up the front panel tonight after work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.