Thursday, August 11, 2011

Regional Seneschal

On August 1st I handed off the Regional Seneschal job for Pentamere to Baroness Giovanna from Cynnabar. I would like to thank her for volunteering and stepping up to take this job. At almost four years I had reached my sell by date!!!

In 2008, I had made a goal of attending one event for each group in the region and a business meeting, if it was close enough and the schedule permitted me to attend. In the first two years on the job (2008-2009) I was very successful in this endeavor. I attended a business meeting for all the groups on the East side of the state, a couple on the West side and events for both. In 2010 things changed a bit at work and I only attended “problem” business meetings. On top of that I only attended four events in the Region. I kept the paperwork side of the office flowing well but getting out and attending events really suffered.

2011 started out even busier between work and a couple family health issues. So far this year I have only attended two events and a small handful of business meetings. It was time to hand over the job to someone who would be able to be more active.

I must admit that it was a little bit of an eye opener being Regional Seneschal. In the past I had held a couple jobs in the College of Heralds but they were paper pushing type jobs. Having to talk with members and groups who have problems and dealing with the larger SCA bureaucracy over the last four years I have changed many of my SCA assumptions. I think there are some fundamental functions that the SCA should be doing to remain healthy that are broken.

Now that I am no longer an officer, I may expound on this in future posts.

No comments: