Thursday, March 22, 2007

Attending events in Canada

Over the years, I have attended many events in Canada and I have never had a problem crossing over the border for an event. I did once have a problem and was stopped and searched when going over to attend a fighting practice. I think the difference was, for events I have always been prepared (see my list below) and for the fighting practice it was a bit spur of the moment and I was not even sure where I was going. I only had a street name and the fact that I would notice SCA fighting equipment when I “got” there.

Try telling a border guard your only going to be in the country for a couple hours and not really sure where but will be driving around looking for friends. That is what got me searched. I was afraid they were going to start taking my car apart but they stopped at that point it was completely empty and let me go. It was pretty funny later….As I was pulling armor out of my duffle bag they would ask me what it was and what it was for. I ended up wearing about ¾ of my armor and giving them an SCA recruitment pitch. They must have thought I was harmless and told me to pack my car and have an enjoyable visit to Canada.

I have also traveled on business frequently and even worked in Canada for months at a time so here is my list! As a side note, unless the law changes, you will need a passport by sometime in 2008 to drive to Canada. Currently you need one only if flying to Canada.

Do’s and Don’ts for attending events in Canada:
Do:

Be courteous, they are only doing their job. If do have the misfortune of getting stopped, the more annoyed you act, could look like nervousness or hostility to them and will make them search harder.

Bring a Passport or Birth Certificate for each person. Drivers License is a must or even school ID with pictures for any minors in the car.

Print the event flyer and make sure you have good directions. If you are questioned about your activities it is a handy item to show them.

Any Fighting or Fencing equipment is “SPORTS” Equipment. It is not a weapon. When asked “Do you have any firearms or weapons?” I always answer truthfully, “No I do not. I do have some sporting equipment”.

When asked what is the nature of your business you should say something like “I am attending a Medieval Recreation event. It’s a hobby”.

All medication should be in the original prescription bottle. If so you should have no problems.

Don’ts:

TAKE ANY WEAPONS. No guns, swords, axes, daggers etc. Leave all your “normal” SCA weapons at home. I go as far as to leave my feast gear knives at home. They are large enough to cause questions to be asked if I get searched.

Take any minors that are not your own. On the off chance you get stopped its easier if all the kids are yours. Trying to prove who is or isn’t a citizen of the US can be tough enough but if they are not your kids, how do you know. Or at least that will be the argument the border guard may make.

Take drugs with you or drive a car that has had drugs transported in it. If a dog reacts to you or your car be prepared for them to strip it down to the nuts and bolts. They are also not responsible for reassembling your vehicle.

Take alcohol with you unless purchased at the duty free shop.

Take more tobacco products than you can use for the time you are in Canada. If your going for a day don’t take 10 cartons of cigarettes, for example.

Be rude about any of the process. Why give them a reason to pick you out to be searched.

I am not sure if I have left out anything important please let me know if I have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.