Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ide's of March Event held by Iron Oak






Well I really enjoyed the Iron Oak event. It was the first tourney style event that I had attended in 2 years, other than Stormvale’s events. I have been to peaceful events and melee/war events but no tourneys since another Iron Oak event Toy’s for Tot’s.
The event had 11 fighters in total and was run as a Bear Pit style tourney, with wounds retained between bouts. In a Bear Pit you continue to fight until defeated and then you go to the back of the line and wait your turn to fight again. The winner was determined by points, you received one point for each bout you entered and one point for each win. The fighting started before noon and ended at 2:45. The winner of the tourney had 72 or 78 points, I could not hear well as it was being announced ( I ended up with 28 ). I think the most points I accumulated at one time was 7 points. That would be 3 wins in a row and then a loss. I believe by points I ended up 5th out of the 11 fighters.

I made it through most of the tourney but had run out of steam and sat out the last half hour. I had gotten to the point that I couldn’t block fast enough and had started falling prey to one-shots (One-shot is when your opponent is able to hit so fast or fake you out enough to hit you with his/her first blow.) While resting enough other fighters had also ran out of steam that Angus, the Baron of Northwoods called for the tourney to end in 20 minutes. I had taken off about half my armor and rather than suit up again, I let the time run out on the event. I used sword and shield for the first half of the tourney but as I tired I switched to using two swords (Florentine). Several other fighters changed weapons as the tourney progressed. Towards the end Angus changed to polearm and I was not able to kill him while he used that weapon. I had slowed enough that I was able to chase him around and even get in a couple wounds but not to kill.
Also attending the event from Stormvale was:
Ervon (fighting as well)
Eron
Laura’s Daughter
Bronwyn
Sylvia
Paul, Sylvia’s son'
Gavin of Blackwood
Desi
Dante

It felt a little like old home week, with many past Stormvalers in attendance including:
Kvelf-ulfr
Morgaine
Annanda the Fiery
Angus Lundy



I had thought about staying for feast but was tired enough that I just headed home at about 4:30pm and took a nap when I got home.
All in all a good event and I was happy that I was not so rusty that I embarrassed myself fighting.

No comments: