Monday, August 27, 2007

Fighting Practice 8-26-2007





The Sunday Fighting Practice kick off consisted of 10 people.


Torashi, Balian, Thoromir, Raven, Connor, Robert (Hicharu?), Rodney, Alyssa, Jordan (?) and myself.


The practice started out with a 30 minute discussion on Fighting stance, Shield types and the 10 main sword blows. Thoromir, Hicharu, Alyssa and Jordan were very polite in setting through my class. I would like to continue something like this for our practices. Please let me know if you would like to attend a specific class or if you would like to give a class.


We did not break up into groups to practice the topics covered in the class but instead decided it was a better opportunity to work on armor so we could put more people into the field. The next 90 minutes consisted of working on various armor projects. Thoromir padded the helmet he is constructing. Hicharu with Balian’s help strapped and edged his shield. I fixed my helmets hinge and removed Pennsic rust off of my legs.


It was decided to not let the practice end without some actual fighting so Torashi and I donned armor and had several rounds of sparing. Many thanks to Torashi for once again pointing out, through force of arms, that I need to get in better shape and practice more. My stamina gave out before I thought it should have and as a penance I let Thoromir and Hicharu use me as a pell for the rest of the practice.


Thoromir put on a helmet and tried out his new sword and center grip shield while I attempted to block his shots. He has an interesting technique of hiding his sword behind the shield that he is working on. We also worked on blow calibration, both hitting and being hit. By the end of this it was getting difficult to hold my shield in the ready position and I had to do some “cheating” by resting the shield on my leg for last few minutes of working with Thoromir.


Then Hicharu wanted to try out his 2/3rds completed armor kit so he dressed and I took a boffer weapon (he had no arm armor) and he worked on blow calibration (only giving). He then began sparing with me and I mostly blocked (or tried to block) his attacks. I would occasionally take a swipe with the boffer but more wanted him to become comfortable in his armor and in throwing a blow. At the end of this I could no longer hold up my shield and had to let it hang by my side and I blocked single sword style. Of course I did not admit that to him, instead I told him I wanted the shield out of the way so I could watch his stance and technique better.
It was nice seeing Rodney again and I believe he and Connor discussed the possibility of running a fencing practice at the same time as the heavy weapons.


Also during the practice Raven expressed an interest in trying heavy weapons so we discussed the required armor standards and weapons needed. I hope to see her in armor at some point in the future.


The next practice should be September 2nd!!

No comments: