Monday, July 16, 2007

Troubled Times (written Thursday July 12th)

Well I must apologize for not having posted recently. I should be posting more regularly again. Three main issues have kept me off the SCA list field and missing most of the local activities as well for the last six weeks.

First, my mother has been in and out of the hospital since last November. Her condition has become more troubling and she has not been home since mid May. We have had a couple scares and most of my family’s free time has been spent at the hospital. She has developed a long list of stomach and intestinal issues that have no apparent cause or solution. She is having an exploratory surgery today with the hope that something can be discovered to explain her condition. We are all keeping our fingers crossed. Otherwise the Doctors seem to have run out of ideas and are advising some kind of managed care or visiting nurse and to hope for a recovery. In fact this is being written while waiting at the hospital.

In June my wife went on sick leave, partly as a result of all this stress in dealing with my mom’s problems ( and also from living with me). So I have been trying to spend more time (when not at the hospital) helping my wife out around the house and generally being supportive. She seems to be doing better now and is almost good as new. This is at least one bright spot on the horizon.

Lastly my local SCA group is in the process of melting down. Since very early this year some long simmering problems have all simultaneously boiled to the surface to cause the local group to explode into yelling, screaming and finger pointing. I must admit that one individual seems to be involved or has been involved in every flap we have had for the last 2 years. He is also deeply involved in the present unpleasantness. In point of fact he is the central item being fought over. A dozen plus people have decided they have had enough of his trouble making (myself included). As near as I can figure another 6 people actively support the troublemaker ( I think many have not known him long enough) and another dozen or so are trying to stay neutral and out of the whole problem.
While normally I would be in the neutral group, I must confess In this case I had already concluded the best thing to do was ignore him. However after having two problems in dealing with kids, it was clear he had to go before he actually hurt someone. He has also alarmed several people with his temper and lack of control. His behavior seems to be the opposite of everything the SCA stands for. We are supposed to act with honor, chivalry and protect the weak.

So with all the problems outlined above there has not been much time or incentive to attend local functions. With things on the mend with my Wife and Mother, its time to help work out things with the local group.

In subsequent posts I will catch up with what has been done in the last 6 weeks SCA wise.
Skalla

No comments: