Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Household Musings

I have had a very close and personal household for 10-15 years. It has consisted of my immediate family and a few very close friends. It was a low key affair as strong households have had a disruptive influence on the local scene almost since the beginning. I did not want to create the same problems I had seen in others. My household was so low key that in effect it didn’t really exist. Once in a blue moon we would gather and then it was more by accident rather than design. I don’t think we yet had a meeting in this century.

Why does all this matter? Well in thinking over the last 25 years of being in the SCA and the periods of intense activity and periods of semi-retirement, the only regret I had was not persuing the household avenue with vigor. It may have helped keep my interest (and had people kicking my butt) higher in the semi-retired days and acted as a force multiplier in the days of intense activity. So I am mulling over the thought of starting or restarting a traditional SCA household. Create a badge, some ground rules and try a strong household model for a change. I wonder if any of my old compatriots are interested?

House Red Panther? Well I think I will continue musing for now (at least until I can call or e-mail some friends).

No comments: