Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Artisans Guild last Tuesday




Well thanks to Diego and Drogo (and Teryll) the Tuesday night Artisans guild went far better than it could have. I was not ready for 17 attendees (I had planned for 6 or 7). Drogo brought extra tools and instructions which helped immensely!! Diego and Drogo also manned the table saw and they made quick work of cutting out everyone’s lumber. In less than two hours we managed to measure and cut out 14 (I think) sets of boxes. We managed to get about 60% of the lap joints cut out as well. We may have rushed a little too quickly at the lap joint stage as a I heard a couple exclamations of “Oops” during that process.

So the next steps should be:
Finish cutting lap joints
Fit boxes together and make any necessary adjustments
Screw or dowel sides of boxes. (We may need to go a little slower at this point)
Fit bottom of box and screw or dowel into place
Fit top of box and attach hinges.

Decoration could be painting, staining, or any other treatment that suits our fancy!!

I have not done much wood carving so I think I will try to put a design on the front of my box. Alex had a good time working on his and Kelsey has decided after watching the rest of us that she would like to make a box for herself.

In attendance: (My humble apology I did not think to take down names during the guild so if I make any mistakes I am sorry. I am also typing this while at the hospital, I do not have access to look up SCA names)
Teryll,
Diego
Jim (Diego’s son)
Torashi
Young man brought by Torashi
Vicki
Drogo
Kayla
Drogo’s son
Carrie
Carrie’s son
Chris (Teryll’s student)
Colleen
Laura
Kelsey Geirmundrsdottir
Bjarky Geirmundrsson
Skalla Geirmundr

No comments: